My friend Todd invited me to his house party last night. Of course I jump at anything that involves meeting more people in this place where I still feel like a stranger, so I gladly told him I'd stop by.
Now, stopping by in Texas, when I had friends, would mean grabbing a couple girls and going as a group of 2 or 3 to this party as to avoid the intimidation of walking into a room full of strangers alone. But, not here. Here I don't have those girls yet. So in an effort to not pass up the chance to meet more philadelphians, I went. Alone. Sans my 'wing-woman.'
This sounds so dramatic. It wasn't really.
I'm so glad I went. I ended up meeting some girls there and had a really fun time, but the whole situation just made me wonder if I'll ever have girlfriends here like I have in Texas. Will I even be here long enough to establish those relationships? Why is it so easy to make and have guy friends, but not girls? Is it me?
Most people around here I find are born and raised in Philly so their circles of life-long friends are very established where as Texas (Austin and Houston at least) had a larger population of 'transplants' so their circles of friends are always open for comers and goers. It's hard to enter the circle here.
It'll happen though, soon enough. I'll find those friends. All in the Lord's timing.
Meanwhile, I will soak in everything this friendless time is teaching me; about myself, about my relationship with Jesus, and about life.
1 comment:
lovely post dear Kara. Miss you. Love you. Way to be bold and get out there! I don't believe it's only possible to have rich community in one place. Philly is the city of (brotherly) love. There are girls just waiting for a woman like yourself to come along and bless them.
Post a Comment